Friday, March 5, 2010

The Novia Scotia Cowl and Shawl Pattern




Thanks for all the wonderful response to the the Nova Scotia Cowl and Shawl Pattern. Some of you have asked for more history. I designed the pattern on a cruise from Boston to Quebec city. I found the lace pattern in St Johns Bay of Fundy It is a fairly simple lace pattern that with about 400 yards of finger weight yarn makes a wonderful cowl / scarf with a three button closure.






With 8oo yard of finger weight it makes a beautiful shawl.
this is a perfect spring shawl.
it has a very easy 3 stitch pattern repeat that brings to mind a prayer shawl( The Holy Trinity. Mind, Body and Spirit. For Buddhists,“3 Refuges” in the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha.)


I think this would make a wonderful prayer Shawl for someone in need. I love weaving my prayers and good thought into something for someone I love.

A good reference for this type of work are the books

Knitting Into the Mystery: A Guide to the Shawl-Knitting Ministry By Susan S. Jorgensen, Susan S. Izard

The Knitting Way: A Guide To Spiritual Self-Discovery By Linda Skolnik, Janice MacDaniels


Zen and the Art of Knitting: Exploring the Links Between Knitting ... By Bernadette Murphy

I am currently knitting another Novia Scotia Shawl it is my favorite to knit while watching TV or listening to pod casts.... yes you heard correctly this is TV lace!!!
check out the video on the side bar for inspirational music.....

No comments:

Post a Comment